Students must first meet the requirements listed for certification below before attending one of our firearms courses. In addition, students must have a good working knowledge of the firearm used and the capability to safely and accurately operate them prior to attending any ASTAI class. Without this basic background, students will find it difficult to keep pace with the instruction, practical exercises, and successfully complete the proficiency assessments. Students who are not able to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of their firearms or commit unsafe acts will be dropped from the school (see equipment/skills preparation section). Students must be physically capable of quickly and safely assuming standing, kneeling and prone positions, maintaining them for a period of time, and safely recovering without assistance.
Student Equipment Requirements
The following list applies to ALL classes:
1. Duty Handgun – 9 mm, .40, .45 handgun.
2. Magazines or Speed loaders – If using a semi-automatic, bring a minimum of 3 magazines
If using a revolver, bring a minimum of 2 speed loaders.
3. Holster, Belt, Magazine or Speed loader Pouches – The holster must be duty-type (patrol),
strong-side directional draw, equipped with a handgun retention device and securely fastened to the gun belt.
4. Eye and Ear Protection, Cap – Student must wear “wraparound” safety glasses. Prescription glasses may be used if shatterproof and
equipped with side shields. Ear plugs and a cap with a bill to deflect ejected brass must also be worn
5. Knee and Elbow Pads – Knee and elbow pads are optional for kneeling and prone position
6. Appropriate Clothing – Students should bring appropriate clothing to participate in the range exercises consistent with prevailing
weather conditions. Range exercises will be conducted in inclement weather unless a safety hazard exists.
7. Duty flashlight – Law enforcement hand-held duty flashlight capable of one-hand operation.
Additional School—Specific Requirements
1. Shotgun – A law enforcement duty-type, 12-gauge pump shotgun with Sling, 5 slug shells
2. Ammunition – 100 rounds of handgun ammunition
OUR CURRICULUM is designed to help students develop, prepare, and conduct safe, effective, reality-based, and appropriate handgun/shotgun qualification, both in the classroom and on the range. All classes and range exercises will be conducted at the student level. The students will be expected to conduct many of the range exercises in the classroom.
CLASSROOM – 24 hours will be spent in the classroom. Subjects will include, but not be limited to:
1. Fundamentals of Marksmanship
2. Practical Handgun Handling Techniques
3. Dim light/low light/reduced light practice and familiarization
4. Use of Force
6. Judgmental shooting
7. Lead Exposure
RANGE – Approximately 2 contact hours will be spent on the range. Subjects will include, but not be limited to:
1. Range Safety
4. Loading and Unloading
5. Administrative Loading
6. Tactical Loading
7. Rapid Reloading
9. Immediate action procedures
10. Ammunition Management
For further information please click here
- A Security Training Academy, Inc. #88-1502
7263 Maple Place, Suite 203
Annandale, Virginia 22003
- (703) 916-8411 Office
- (703) 916-8412 Fax