Students must first meet the requirements listed for certification below before attending one of our courses. In addition, students must have a good working knowledge of the firearms used and the capability to safely and accurately operate them prior to attending any ASTAI class. Without this basic background, students will find it difficult to keep pace with the instruction, practical exercises, and successfully complete the proficiency assessments. Students who are not able to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of their firearms or commit unsafe acts will be dropped from the school (see equipment/skills preparation section). Students must be physically capable of quickly and safely assuming standing, kneeling and prone positions, maintaining them for a period of time, and safely recovering without assistance.
Student Equipment Requirements
The following list applies to ALL classes:
1. Duty Handgun – A law enforcement duty-type handgun.
2. Magazines or Speed loaders – If using a semi-automatic, bring a minimum of 4 magazines. If using a revolver, bring a minimum of 5 speed loaders.
3. Holster, Belt, Magazine or Speed loader Pouches – The holster must be duty-type (patrol), strong-side directional draw, equipped with a handgun retention device and securely fastened to the gun belt.
4. Eye and Ear Protection, Cap – Student must wear “wraparound” or “side panel” safety glasses. Prescription glasses may be used if shatterproof and equipped with side shields. Ear plugs or ear muffs (preferred) and a cap with a bill to
deflect ejected brass must also be worn
5. Knee and Elbow Pads – Knee and elbow pads are optional for kneeling and prone position shooting.
6. Appropriate Clothing – Students should bring appropriate clothing to participate in the range exercises consistent with prevailing weather conditions. Range exercises will be conducted in inclement weather unless a safety hazard exists.
7. Duty flashlight – Law enforcement hand-held duty flashlight capable of one-hand operation.
8. Notebook and Marker – A small pocket spiral notebook, pen or pencil, and a jumbo permanent marker.
9. Cleaning Equipment – Bring cleaning equipment for your firearms.
Additional School—Specific Requirements
1. Shotgun – A law enforcement duty-type, 12-gauge pump or semi-automatic shotgun with Sling, 5 slug shells
2. Ammunition – 900 rounds of service or training handgun ammunition
CLASSROOM – Approximately 22 contact hours will be spent in the classroom. Subjects will include, but not be limited to:
1. Handgun Marksmanship Fundamentals
2. Handgun Handling Techniques
3. Coaching Techniques
4. Firearm Safety
5. Preparation and Construction of Lesson Plans
6. Tactical Use of Cover and Concealment
7. Effective Communication
8. Methods of Instruction and Use of Training Aids
9. Reduced Light Training
10. Shotgun Marksmanship Fundamentals
11. Shotgun Handling Techniques
12. Liability Considerations